Tuesday 15 July 2014

Dunwich Dynamo 2014 Ride Report


It was my first Dun run and longest fixed gear ride ever, running 52/18. I decided to go prepared for any eventuality which led to a 6Kg backpack after all the tools, food and clothing was packed in.

5 Various filled bagels, 750ml bottle, Bars, Nuun, 2 tubes, Puncture repair kit, Threaded Headset spanner + usual tools, 2 tops + extra socks, SLR Camera, Rain jacket, Lock... 

I set off at 5pm to meet up with a PQR & Clockwise on the way. The sun was shining, the ants were taking off from the cracks in the pavement and a crazy humidity meant the sweat was pouring as soon as I moved a muscle. It was a 40Km ride out to the start at London Fields in Hackney, taking in a nice route through Richmond park. Even here the atmosphere was noticeably relaxed, not the usual hell-bent crabon heroes looking for that ultimate 3 lap challenge time cutting you up. We pulled into London Fields around 7:30, grabbed our route cards and a beer and set off around 8:00.

The pace was very mixed on the way out of London and our group of 3 was reduced to 2. PQR Phil and myself were looking to settle around a 15-16mph average, but we had no computers between us and I expect we were well below that at the start due to the sheer numbers on the road. After passing through Epping and some small towns we found ourselves leading a small group. It was dark now and between us side by side we just about spread sufficient light onto the road to comfortably see where we were going. This didn't stop us from taking a wrong turn and leading the group on a small detour. Its a shame it was a detour, we found ourselves in a good flow down the single track lanes cruising in what felt like the low 20mph's. Loosing confidence that at this pace we really should have passed someone we discovered we had taken a wrong turn. Thankfully we had been running parallel to the road everyone else was on, so it didn't take too much correction to put right.

Finally the rain caught up with us which quickly turned into 2 torrential downpours in the space of an hour. We got soaked through, even with the rain jackets on and Phil slid out on a manhole cover. Thankfully no major injury or damage done we were soon on our way only for Phil to hit a blind pothole on a fast downhill left turn and flat his tyre. Whilst Phil was fixing up I went over to shine a light and shout out warnings, but regardless the amount of pinch flats, dropped bottles and accessories grew. Then the worst happened and a rider went down. I quickly pulled his bike out of the road, putting my foot down a water filled hole/ uncovered storm drain and nearly going down myself. a couple of mins later another rider went down. After 15 mins on the phone to the emergency services we was eventually told an ambulance was on its way and the victim had a couple of friends with him so we set off on our way again. I later learned that Warren had fractured his wrist and after waiting 2 hours for an ambulance he was finally taken to hospital by a good stranger.

Once the rain had passed the humidity went through the roof! The air was thick, and every odour seemed amplified from sweet flowers to rotting vegetation and the stench from the farms. I was never to be dry again until we got home, and this played havoc with our comfort levels. Slowly the need to take a short stretch stop and a re-adjust increased with frequency, but so did the need to take on more food and water. Our pace remained good for the majority, taking hills in a much quicker stride than our geared counterparts, although there were a couple of times I felt 76 Gear inches was a bit too heavy going!

As we rode the final quarter the sky began to show some hints of colour again whilst lightning flashed and forked on the horizon. Thankfully this was heading out to sea so we were not destined to get underneath it, but it was a magnificent view. As dawn broke the miles seemed to take longer and longer. 40 miles...38 miles...35 miles... By this point I was loosing the power in my legs and the last 10 miles felt twice as long!

We arrived on Dunwich beach around 6:30, a slight drizzle in the air which quickly passed, and lots of tired faces. We took in the views, a photo opportunity, then to the pub for a breakfast pint. 

Next I had to make my own way to Ipswich to get the train back to London. I had deliberately booked a mid-afternoon train so there was no pressure, and headed off up the A12. And there was lots of up! Long, slow grinds, but there were a few others making the same journey which was encouraging. 10 miles in I pulled over to take a break and a couple went past with a decent pace. I foolishly decided to follow, seeing them as a good wheel to pace myself to. 10 minutes later I bonked. I pulled over, drank the last of my water, ate the last of my bagel and hoped it would be enough to get me going again. Thankfully a petrol station was only 5 mins down the road so was able to stock up and slowly made my way into Ipswich town. I collected my tickets with 3 hours to spare. I had already enquired a few days previous if I could move my departure time if I wanted to and was told no, so I found an out-of-the-way corner, pulled my cap down and went to sleep. I was awoken after not too long by a member of staff. He told me they didn't want the station filling up with bikes and sleeping cyclists and hurriedly ushered me onto the next train. Result! A short ride through London and another train later I was home!

I've never eaten or drank so much on a ride, evidence I've been doing it wrong on my long rides so far as I felt pretty good until pushing too hard into Ipswich:

4 litres of Water (carrying 1.5L at a time, topped up at pub stops)
2 Nuun tablets
Pint of Ale
2 cheese bagels
1 Jam bagel
1 Lemon curd bagel
1 chutney bagel
6 waffles
1 fresh hot bean burger
4 9-bars
1 nutrigrain bar
2 gels
1 box of rasins

It was a wonderful ride! The weather did make it uncomfortable, and would love to do it under a star lit sky next time (and maybe drop a few gear inches too) Will do again!

No comments:

Post a Comment