Thursday 14 August 2014

An interview with Criterium Gijon winner Stefania Baldi

Wow, take a week's holiday and by the time you've recovered Red Hook Crit Barcelona is nearly upon us! Anyway, with the power of the internet (and a handy online translator) I caught up with Criterium Gijon winner and Red Hook Crit contender Stefania Baldi. Watch out for bib 301 in Barcelona!

TLFC: Hi, Stefania, congratulations on your win at Criterium Gijon! Please tell us a little about yourself?
SB: Hello, I am Stefania Baldi, 39 years old and live in Milan Italy. I ride bikes for almost 6 years now and I've done everything: Gran Fondo (race of long distance), professional rider, amateur on fast races, cyclo-cross, MTB and then get to fixed world that I found to be my right nature; the way I express myself better with a bicycle.

TLFC: I understand you used to run 15Km distance. Have you always had competitive ambitions in sports? What got you interested in cycle racing and particularly racing fixed gear bikes?
SB: For me to make sport means 'to prepare for a race.' I can hardly suffer a competitive sporting activity without a competition, a race. And this is part of my character.
I've played sports since childhood. Athletics and then cycling. Cycling is my sport. Road and then Fixed. I found that the races in fixed are my truest expression. Freedom, strength, management of the bike and body all together.

TLFC: In 2012 you formed Team Alfonsina, what was your inspiration behind forming your own team?
SB: Alfonsina Team owes its name from Alfonsina Strada, the first and only woman to run the Giro d'Italia with men. That was in 1924. A strong woman who defied the conventions of the time to pursue her greatest passion: cycling and the bike.
I gave birth to this team of professional women to give a chance to young girls with the same passion as Alfonsina. The project lasted two years, and now the team has been closed due to lack of sponsors. But I like to think that it is only a draft frozen and that sooner or later be able to realize my dream.

TLFC: Female cycling has raised its public profile significantly around many parts of the world over the past few years, would you say this is also the case in Milan and all over Italy? How would you describe the current opportunities for female cyclists, particularly in terms of racing?
SB: In recent years, it is true, we had more women's cycling. Many athletes who have distinguished themselves: Vos, Bronzini, Longo Borghini, Carretta, Pooley ... but it always seems to not be enough. Having had the opportunity to travel in Europe and America, for the race, I noticed the big difference of events dedicated to women's cycling, both professional and amateur, that exists between foreign countries and here in Italy. Our girls and I, too, find it hard to find space in events in which women can compete against each other. A space dedicated entirely to women.
There are women with the desire to run and express their potential, but there is no public attention towards the pink side of cycling that is capable of giving strong emotions.

TLFC: You're currently riding for Team Desgenà. When and how was this partnership formed?
SB: The collaboration with Team Desgenà started from this year. I am very happy to be part of their team and wear their colours.
The bike that I have provided is a prototype and has been designed especially for my needs. I think it's MY bike, a good compromise between tradition and innovation.

TLFC: Tell us about your day leading up to the race. Do you have any pre-race rituals?
SB: I do competitive sports for many years and finally I can say that in recent years have managed to find a balance my pre-race. That's not to say I do not feel the tension, indeed. But I think I know how to manage it better. I do not have any ritual to tell the truth. I just try to do things that I normally do during the week with more concentration and attention. I eat, sleep and do big breaths. I climb on the bike and as soon as the race starts, everything is transformed ...

TLFC: Does your riding style favour a particular type of course? How did you find the course for Criterium Gijon?
SB: Racing in Spain was exciting and winning the Criterium Gijon was a dream. Competing with only women is inspiring and a unique feeling. I met with high-level athletes and [to] compare them for me is a great honour.
The race was tactical and I knew from the beginning who were the most fearsome opponents. Please study, discuss, and then to test is the best an athlete could hope for in a race. Regardless of the outcome, which makes me very proud, the race was wonderful, because it was lived entirely from the first metre.
I still have not figured out which path is best for me with the fixed, but I found the location of the Criterium of Gijon done right, with the right amount of technicality and pieces thrown in. The wind then made the track even more interesting.

TLFC: You placed 2nd against Fleur Faure at National Moutarde Criterium a few weeks prior to Criterium Gijon, how did this effect your expectations for Gijon? Were there any other riders you knew at Criterium Gijon who were going to be a challenge to beat?
SB: Meeting Fleur in Dijon for me was exciting and challenging. She is a great opponent, competitive and fair. A young athlete with great potential. Losing Dijon against her, after a race lived, was a stimulus for me. I came in Gijon knowing that I would meet her and this has made a difference.
It was a rematch. Now, as Fleur said, we are at a head and we'll see you in Barcelona, the Red Hook Criterium. it is nice to know that there are strong opponents to fight with.
At Gijon I also met Carla Nafría de Miguel, Spanish in Madrid, which I had met in Barcelona last year and has improved a lot. It's nice to know that these young athletes are training and carry out their passion.

TLFC: I see you have signed up to Red Hook Barcelona, what do you have planned between now and then?
SB: I'll make a 3/4 Criterium National and training road bike. A month goes by quickly. We must finalise and not heavy.

TLFC: Do you have a phrase or expression that comes to mind during a race to encourage you?
SB: Honestly, no. My motto is 'Will is Power'. This is fine for everything!

TLFC: If you could pick a song to be the soundtrack to a video of the race, what would it be and why?
SB: To this question I can not answer. The only sounds that can accompany the race are the heartbeat, the sound of rushing chain, knees creaking, which marks the mind bends and straights and the screams of the people who support us.

TLFC: Are there any fixed gear racers you look up to or we should look out for in the future?
SB: Yes, there are very strong athletes promising: Jo Celso, American; Fleure Feure, French; Kelly Samuelson Los Angeles, Hannah Todd and Ash Duban. These are athletes who are not only used in fixed and have an edge in the velodrome and on the road. We'll see in the coming years.

TLFC: Where would you like to see yourself in 5 years time?
SB: 5 years are many and I have already 39. Let's finish this year by bringing home a little satisfaction and next year, we'll see, we'll add new goals.

TLFC: Finally, any shout-outs you would like to give?
SB: I would like to thank all the people who support me, near and far, friends, sponsors, opponents, everyone.
Thank you for this wonderful interview.






No comments:

Post a Comment